Declaring a Major

Once you are confident that pursuing Meteorology is the right choice for you, how and when do you officially declare it as your major?

EMS Entry-to-Major

Most Penn State students participate in LionPath's change-of-major process in the Spring semester of their sophomore year, and officially enter their major at the start of their junior year.

Here in EMS you don't have to wait that long!  The College of EMS's policy for when you can declare a major can be found in the University Bulletin.

If your current academic status is our pre-major EM SC  (if in doubt check your data in LionPath, and if you meet the above criteria, and if you would like to enter the major that you indicated to us as your goal when you entered the college (i.e. the major to which your assigned faculty adviser belongs), you may do so using the "Update Academics" option in LionPath. Remember that you must also choose an option. If you are unsure which option to choose, please talk with your adviser or Amber DeCosmo in the Meteorology and Atmospheric Science main office.  LionPath has a very helpful tutorial that will guide you through the steps on how to declare your major.  

If you are pretty sure that the major you want is not one that EMS offers, please make a visit to the Ryan Family Student Center and they can help you with the next steps.  

Finally, if you have completed four semesters and your GPA is 2.00 or higher, you MUST declare your major.  You can't remain in generic EM SC status!  You won't be able to graduate in EM SC status!