Instructor/Assistant Professor - Atmospheric Sciences

The University of North Dakota (UND) is seeking qualified applicants for a non-tenure track teaching faculty position, to be filled at the Instructor or Assistant Professor level, within the Department of Atmospheric Sciences.

 

Date posted

May 25, 2021 12:00 am

Application deadline

July 25, 2021 12:00 am

Organization

The University of North Dakota (UND) Department of Atmospheric Sciences.

Location

  • United States

Job description

Description

The University of North Dakota (UND) is seeking qualified applicants for a non-tenure track teaching faculty position, to be filled at the Instructor or Assistant Professor level, within the Department of Atmospheric Sciences. This is a 9-month position and is contingent on available funding. The position is for a three-year term, and is renewable depending on performance and funding availability. Base funding will be provided at the 100% level for candidates who prefer a teaching-only position. For candidates who prefer a research component, 100% base funding (comprised of 20% research) will be provided in years one and two and 90% in year three (with the remaining 10% in year 3 provided by external research funding brought in by the successful candidate). Funding is also available for the successful candidate to teach at least one summer course per year.

The Department of Atmospheric Sciences is part of the John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences at UND and offers degree programs leading to the B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. in Atmospheric Sciences. UND is a UCAR Member institution. Fall 2019 enrollments included 56 undergraduate and 31 graduate students in these programs. Teaching and research is carried out by 11 faculty members. Facilities include a 5-cm wavelength Doppler weather radar with dual polarization capability, an airborne research facility, and two instrumented ground research sites. Cooperative programs are ongoing with the National Weather Service Weather Forecast Office in Grand Forks. Additional information can be found on our web site: http://atmos.und.edu.

Duties & Responsibilities

The successful candidate, during their 9 month academic contract, will be responsible for:

  • Teaching up to 6 repeated lecture sections of an introductory undergraduate course.
  • Coordinating and mentoring of GTAs/UTAs among multiple lab sections.
  • Independent research (20% effort) or teaching 1-2 additional courses.
  • Service to the Department, College, University, and national/international community (approximately 5-10% effort).
  • Academic advising of students.

Required Competencies

  • Evidence of the ability to teach, inspire, and mentor students.
  • Enthusiasm for teaching.
  • Effective interpersonal skills, including the ability to collaborate effectively with faculty, staff and students.
  • Appreciation for or experience with diverse constituencies.

Minimum Requirements

  • Completion of a Master’s degree in Atmospheric Sciences or a closely-related field for the Instructor Level.
  • Successful completion of criminal history records check.

For more details

https://campus.und.edu/human-resources/careers/job-openings.html?title=Instructor/Assistant