Scientific Software Engineer
Mar. 28, 2017 12:00 am
Apr. 28, 2017 12:00 am
- United States
Responsible to: President
Location: Burlington, VT (preferred). Ann Arbor, MI (considered)
ISciences, L.L.C. is a Michigan based limited liability corporation founded in 1997 with offices in Ann Arbor MI, Burlington VT, and Washington, DC. We believe in the power of evidence based analysis to understand vulnerabilities and achieve sustainability in a rapidly changing world. Our core strength is the ability to integrate expertise in the physical sciences, the social sciences, and information technology to solve our customers’ problems.
ISciences provides strategic, scientific and technical consulting services to a variety of government, commercial and non-profit clients in the fields of sustainable development, vulnerability assessment, remote sensing, and geospatial analysis. Our contributions influence policy decisions at some of the world’s largest companies and at the highest reaches of government. ISciences has four principal areas of practice: Water and Climate, Corporate Sustainability, Remote Sensing, and Human Security.
Summary of Position:
The Scientific Software Engineer will be a member of a team that performs quantitative sustainability and vulnerability assessments for a variety of U.S. government and commercial clients. These analyses tend to focus on climatic stresses, freshwater shortages and surplus, water quality, and political instability; cover large geographic areas (e.g., global or continental scale), and use data derived from satellite remote sensing, geospatial analysis, and quantitative environmental, social, political, economic indicators.
- Provide scientific software engineering and programming in support of wide area, geographically explicit sustainability and vulnerability assessments using Java, R, Python, Kepler, and related software platforms.
- Transition research code to reliable user-friendly open-source projects using best practice software engineering and tool sets such as gitlab.
- Develop, deploy and maintain web-based data delivery services using open source database, geospatial, and web development stacks.
- Write compelling documentation and analytical reports for a broad range of users, including government and corporate decision makers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master degree or equivalent experience in environmental science, computer
science, mathematics, political science, or related discipline.
- Demonstrated interest and ability to engineer and develop complex scientific
software that performs state of the art geospatial and statistical analysis.
- Demonstrated interest and ability to develop and maintain open source software
- Demonstrated interest and ability to engineer and develop sophisticated webbased
delivery systems for complex time-series geospatial data and information.
- Demonstrated interest and ability to document complex software packages.
- Demonstrated interest and ability to present complex scientific information in
compelling written and oral form.
Compensation: Competitive salaries and benefits, with flexible work schedules.
U.S. Citizenship Required
ISciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer