Requirements for Admission

If you plan to major in Meteorology and Atmospheric Science, you'll need a strong background in science, mathematics and computer skills. In high school you should take earth sciences, physics, chemistry and mathematics through at least pre-calculus. Generally, if you have completed a course in calculus and/or a course in computer programming, you will have an advantage when starting your meteorology and atmospheric science studies. You should take your high school's college-preparation English classes and should know how to use a word processor on a computer.

For more specific admission requirements for the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences, in which the Department of Meteorology and Atmospheric Science resides, visit Penn State's Undergraduate Admissions website and view the degree requirements for the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences.

Opportunities to Consider During Admission

Advanced Placement

Students who do advanced work in high school may earn credit through the Advanced Placement program.

University Scholars Program (Schreyer Honors College)

There are distinct opportunities afforded to Schreyer Scholars, which include: (a) Academic enrichment including honors courses, exclusive study abroad programs, and research placements. (b) Dedicated honors housing in two residence halls that establish a vibrant setting for learning and living. (c) The distinction of graduating with honors from Penn State upon successful completion of the SHC's academic requirements. Just five percent of the undergraduate students enrolled at Penn State are members of the Schreyer Honors College and can earn that distinction. 

TEEMS - Total Engagement with EMS

Once you accept admission to Penn State in the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences, you can apply to participate in this fun-filled orientation program to ease your transition into the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences.

Irvin Hall Interest House

Apply to live in the dorm full of other EMS students!  Be sure to visit the "Prospective Residents" menu on the Irvin Hall Interest House website for information on how to request this special housing.